Wallpaper* shares the educational architectural design work of LYCS Architecture, including projects such as Tiantai No. 2 Primary School, Haishu School, and Yiwu New Century Foreign Language School.
Wallpaper* is a well-known pioneering design communication media in China, aiming to convey the value of design, with the background of global design industry, focusing on the Chinese design field, with the mission of promoting Chinese design and providing a broader platform for Chinese designers and works.
"The classroom is no longer the only teaching space; designers should turn all campus spaces into 'classrooms'." This is the understanding of RUAN Hao, founder of LYCS Architecture. According to research by LYCS Architecture, children spend only 60 percent of their time on campus in the classroom - and the remaining 40 percent is outside the classroom, including recess, lunch, playtime and gym class. "That means that outside of the classroom, the entire campus environment is also very important." RUAN Hao said in the interview.
"Classrooms should not be allowed to become the world for students, but rather the corners of the world."
Schools should be given open attributes like cities to facilitate children's communication, so the focus of educational buildings is on the creation of "social spaces". Education is not only confined to the classroom, but also to the learning of professional knowledge and how to interact with others.
"The basic spatial units and layout of teaching and learning have evolved greatly. Nowadays, education is very diverse, and in this case, a single classroom can no longer carry all the teaching contents. At this time, architects need to create a "community-style" space to help schools accomplish diverse teaching and learning tasks. In fact, the so-called community style and social style are more about how to accomplish teaching and learning in non-classroom areas. This has a lot to do with the education reform that the country has implemented in recent years, which is a very good positive development."
For more information, please click: Education Architecture: It's a Campus, It's a Paradise